Monday, March 05, 2007

This is a substantial post (for a change)

Keep in mind, I'm still lowly 4k, so this probably has issues


So far, 3-5 has served me moderately well.

I play double 3-5 paired with 3-9 as black, and ommitting the 3-9 as white.







Opponents generally decide to approach from the top either low or high. I have seen the low approach most often, as my opponents choose to take the corner.
At this point, I can play at either O or P16.







That's the ideal situation. It gets messy when it doesnt work though.






Like that. Or something. Eh, it just gets messy.

I find not much wrong with this opening, as I feel it suits me pretty well. Higher level players seem to think it really weird though. I guess I'll learn whats wrong with it when the time comes.

I think one of the main issues with this opening is I end up with a possibility for a moyo.. and then I play the exact wrong move. The walls I get from this give me really nice influence, but sometimes I lose territorially. I remember this happening at Congress a lot. A lot of the games I play rely on something dying, or some weak group I can chase around, because of the walls.



Wow, this post sucked.

3 comments:

Kevin K. said...

Your post was great, and I enjoyed it a lot! That's an interesting way of going about making a moyo. Is it better suited to you than just playing sanrensei?

Saimon said...

Hi, I think the situation in 2nd picture is not that good for black as it seems - 5 seems too close to the shimari and too low too, I'd proceed with capping play immedeatly.

breakfast said...

Nice opening. I will try to use it in my games :)
Alex
http://gogame.info/